Mini Coffee and Spice Hot Cross Buns
These mini hot cross buns are the perfect Easter treat to share with the whole family!
Serves: Makes 40 mini buns
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 160ml (10 tbsp) Camp Coffee
- 900g (31.7oz) strong White Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp ground mixed spice
- 110g (3.9oz) caster sugar
- 110g (3.9oz) butter
- 250g (9oz) sultanas
- 25g (0.8oz) fresh yeast
- 200ml milk
- 100ml water
For the crosses
- 2 tbsp plain flour
For the glaze
- 2 tbsp golden syrup, gently heated
- 1. Add the flour, salt, ground mixed spice and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub into the dry ingredients then add the sultanas.
- 2. Blend the fresh yeast with 50ml of the tepid milk. Add this to the dry mix with the beaten egg and the rest of the tepid milk, water and Camp Coffee and mix together to form a soft, pliable dough. Knead lightly for 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- 3. Grease a large, warm mixing bowl with butter. Shape the dough into a ball and place it into the prepared bowl, then cover with a clean tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour to prove.
- 4. Turn out the proved dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knock back the dough. Grease 2 baking trays with butter, shape it into 40 mini balls and transfer the buns to the tray. Cover again with the tea towel and set aside for a further 30 minutes to rise.
- 5. Preheat the oven to 240°C /475°F/Gas Mark 8.
- 6. For the topping, mix the plain flour to a smooth paste with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
- 7. When the buns have risen, spoon the flour mixture into a piping bag and pipe a cross on each bun.
- 8. Transfer the buns to the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes, or until cooked. As soon as you remove the buns from the oven, brush them with the hot golden syrup, then set aside to cool on a wire rack.